Stir Fried Shrimp and Baby Spinach
Cooking time: 15 minutes
One of the fastest ways in cooking healthy meals extremely easily without fuss after a busy day is stir fry. Its fast, its easy, its aromatic and its never boring. It’s really as simple as 1. heat up the pan 2. put some oil in 3. put the ingredients in 4. Stir like your life depends on it.
The favourite part of this recipe is that this is an easy one pan meal that has all the elements of protein, fibre and vitamins and minerals. You can eat this on its own, stir in some cooked noodles or pasta (an abomination to some I know, but we’re on a timer here) or with some rice.
1 pound of large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 pound of baby spinach, rinsed
2 tablespoons of sesame oil (or any other vegetable oil)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Salt to taste
- Rinse shrimp with water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat a pan over high heat until a drop of water evaporates within a second or two when added to the pan. Swirl in 1 tablespoon of the oil by adding it to the sides of the pan and swirling the pan, then add the garlic and stir-fry for no more than 10 seconds. Push to the sides of the pan
- Add the shrimp in one layer. Let cook undisturbed for 1 minute, then add the remaining oil and stir-fry for 1 minute with the garlic.
- Add spinach and stir-fry for 1 minute, until it has begun to wilt but the wilting is still uneven.
- Add the salt, sprinkling it evenly over the spinach, and continue to stir-fry until the spinach has wilted but is still bright and the shrimp are cooked through and bright pink, about 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat, toss together and serve, with rice, noodles or other grains.